Monday, August 18, 2014

Sunday Spins - NY NOW & Tabata Ramen

Yesterday, my dad took the family out to the Javits Center for NY NOW, formally known as the New York International Gift Fair. We all sported Exhibitor passes, because my dad works for Nippon Kodo Inc. I love visiting the show, because there are always so many new ideas and designs on display. It's really a great way for a company to kick start their merchandise.
 
I also met up with my friend and her dad, and we just browsed whichever aisles that we could... there were just too many! I saw a variety of products- from silicone pot lids and wallets to ambient lighting adorned with paper cutouts. The items on display are not for sale, because the exhibit there is for distributors looking to purchase the items in wholesale. However, it does give me great ideas for birthday and Christmas presents!

It was around 2:00PM when we started to get hungry, so we walked to Tabata Ramen. It was my first time there, as well as my mom's, and I was really looking forward to trying them out.
Almost every ramen restaurant has a unique ramen bowl named after their restaurant. The different styles and ingredients are what make each restaurant unique. Here, their "Tabata Ramen" has a soup that is soy and coconut based!

While there is a bar area, you can also get tables in the back of the restaurant. It is very dark in there. It was very sunny and bright outside, so we were almost blind when we walked in. The decor was warm, and the floors and tables were made of wood. Their choice of music was interesting for their setting. They played a lot of R&B and pop music. Not exactly my favorite, but I assume it would be appropriate for targeting younger customers.


Garlic Ramen - The soup comes separately, so you can dip your noodles into it. The roasted sesame seeds and garlic add great texture and flavor! 4.5/5
Tonkotsu Ramen (Pork-based broth) - The soup is thick and the flavors are very robust. 4/5
Shio Ramen (Salt-based broth) - A basic dish. Flavors are good, and with the addition of black pepper powder, it adds more dimension to it. 3.5/5
Tabata Ramen - The soup is very thick and slightly creamy. It was like nothing I've ever had before! I wasn't expecting the broth to be as flavorful as it was, and the chicken was very tender. 5/5
Overall, my experience here was great. I would definitely come back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment